Kenya Roads Board (KRB)
The Kenya Roads Board (KRB) was established through an Act of Parliament, KRB ACT No. 7, in 1999 and was given presidential assent on 6 th January 2000.
The main objective of KRB is to oversee the road network in Kenya and thereby coordinate its development, rehabilitation and maintenance and to be the principal adviser to the Government on all matters related thereto.
The act specifies the following as the mandates of the board:-
- Administer the funds derived from the Road Maintenance Levy Fund (RMLF) and any other funds that may accrue to it;
- Coordinate the development, rehabilitation and maintenance of the road network, with a view to achieving efficiency, cost effectiveness and safety;
- Coordinate the implementation of all policies relating to the development, rehabilitation and maintenance of the road network;
- Determine the allocation of financial resources from the RMLF or from any other source available to the Board required by road agencies for the development, rehabilitation and maintenance of the road network and
- Monitor the operations or activities undertaken by road agencies in the development, rehabilitation and maintenance of the Kenyan road network.
Kenya Roads Fund
There are plans to establish Kenya Roads Fund, the Roads Fund will be a body corporate with the following functions:
· Management of road maintenance funds.
· To identify and source for alternative financing for the development and maintenance of roads.
· Coordinating and compilation of road work plans for national and county governments and coming up with a national roads work plan.
· Undertake technical and financial audit of road works.