The university was started as a whites-only primary school with a large farm in April 1929 by a British Colonial farmer–cum-educationist, William Thomas Alfred Levet and later sold in February 1959. Between 1965 and 1970, the Institution served as a Large – scale Farmers training (LSFTC). In October 1979, it was converted into Animal Husbandry and Industry Training Institute (AHITI) offering a two year course, leading to a Certificate in Animal Health. From 1988 – 1990, this operated as a Diploma Science Teacher’s after which it was taken over by Egerton University on 1st July 1990 to offer Education courses for graduate teacher-training. Laikipia University College was awarded Charter on April 19 2013 became a fully fledged University. The Main Campus is located 50 km from Nakuru Town and 11 km from Nyahururu Town, along the Nakuru – Nyahururu Highway. The university offers Certificate, Diploma, Undergraduate, Post Graduate Diploma, Masters and PhD programs.
- School of Education
- School of sciences
- School of humanities
University Website: www.laikipia.ac.ke